A Collaborative Conference between George Mason University, the Northern Virginia Writing Project, and Fairfax County Public Schools
Friday, October 12, 2012
7:30 am – 2:00 pm
George Mason University – Student Union Building II
One week until our dynamic conference at George Mason University! We will have representation of 20 high school (and middle school!) writing centers from Virginia, DC and Maryland. We will spend the day learning from each other: tutors, writing center directors, school and program administrators, college professors, college writing center tutors, and Teacher Consultants from the Northern Virginia Writing Project. The essence of a writing center, collaborative conversation, will be evident from the first registrant to the last evaluation.
Here are some final details to make you and your tutors’ experience at the conference next Friday even more enjoyable:
- Arrival time: please try to arrive and register as close to 7:30 a.m. as possible. We will begin the Introductions and Ice-breaker around 8:00. The first session begins at 8:30.
- What to bring:
o Money for parking (see attached details)
o Water bottle & snack (lunch is scheduled for 11:30)
o Index card with answers to the following questions: How do you think the writing center / being a tutor changes tutors as writers? How do you think writing centers change a school?
Parking Information for Writing Center Conference, October 12, 2012
The HUB (formerly known as Student Union 2, aka SUB 2), #56 on campus map. View campus maps and driving directions here: http://www.gmu.edu/resources/
Where to Park
The NVWP has paid to exempt surface lot K, which is accessible from Patriot Circle (the road that loops around the entire campus). There is no charge to visitors that park in lot K.
Visitors who wish to park closer to The HUB may choose to park in the Shenandoah parking garage, which is accessible from Sandy Creek Way. The hourly rate in the Shenandoah parking garage is $3.00 with a maximum of $14.00 for the whole day. View rates here: http://parking.gmu.edu/
Walking directions from lot K to The HUB
1. Exit lot K and cross Patriot Circle. Follow the asphalt path that runs through the trees. The Mason Pond will be on your right side.
2. Stay on the asphalt path until you reach Mason Pond Drive which runs right in front of the Center for the Arts and the Mason Pond parking garage.
3. From Mason Pond Drive take the stairs that run between the Mason Pond parking garage and the Center for the Arts.
4. Walk straight, passing the George Mason statute and the clock tower.
5. Once you pass the clock tower, follow the path down to Rivanna River Way.
6. Cross Rivanna River Way and walk up the small hill. The HUB will be on the right.
Walking directions from Shenandoah parking garage
1. Exit the garage and cross Sandy Creek Way.
2. The work zone will now shift to Braddock Road approaching Roanoke River Road traveling east and west. One lane in each direction on Braddock Road will be shut down between Ox Road and Nottoway River Lane to work on doubling the length of the turn lanes on Braddock Road into Roanoke River Road. At times, one wi ft onto Roanoke River Road or into University Mall from Braddock Road. An approximate date for work to start is forthcoming. Visit http://building.gmu.edu for updates.
It is highly recommended to avoid this stretch of Braddock Road. When traveling to Mason on Braddock Road from the east, turn right onto Roberts Road to enter campus at Shenandoah River Lane. When traveling to Mason from the west, turn left at Ox Road and enter campus at Mason Pond Drive or University Drive. To ensure the safety of construction workers, other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists, please drive cautiously on Roanoke River Road and Braddock Road.
If you have any questions please contact the NVWP office at 703-993-1168.